Saturday, November 7, 2009

Kyra the Problem Solver and Natural Born Eater




So, Kyra is pretty much a blast these days...she gets cuter all the time...cuter noises, cuter facial expressions, cuter reactions, and the fact that she's sleeping regularly 9 hours each night increases the cute factor exponentially.:) Here's some recent Kyra happenings...


I never wanted to be the parent who thinks their kid is a genius just because they are marking off the same developmental milestones every kid does...but she problem-solved yesterday all on her own and I thought it was pretty cool for 6 months old...didn't know that kind of thing would come so early. I had her sitting on the counter while I brewed up some delicious coffee my parentals had sent, and she was having a blast playing with the bag of coffee filters (whatever works, right?), picking it up and putting it down, and shaking it all around with gusto. Well she got a little overzealous and threw it into the nearby basket of fruit, out of her reach. She stared at it for a second, tilting her body toward it but realizing she'd topple over if she reached for it. Then she just grabbed the basket instead and pulled it towards her so that the filters were within her reach, picked the sucker up and started playing again....I'm one of those parents, aren't I. It's happened. Another one bites the dust. (You know what's worse? The other day I actually SMELLED HER BUTT--without even thinking about it--to see if she needed a diaper change. Oh my dear Lord what has happened to me!!)


Other stuff...she was a crab for Halloween which was totally freakin cute, although I felt terrible for torturing her purely for our own pleasure, and she had her first day at the beach last week and loved it! Even with the water being a little chilly and kind of choppy so that it would kind of slap up against her, she dug it the whole time--smiling, splashing, and squealing. But then really what choice does she have, right? If you're gonna be born on an island, you'd better like the water. The other big change for her is she's started eating from a spoon...took right to it, no training necessary...guess we all know who she takes after in her zest for food. It really is
great fun to watch--that girl takes bites like she MEANS it...a big open mouth as she lurches towards the spoon. Ahh, like looking in a mirror.
Some recent videos...





1 comment:

  1. mgw and Kyra have the same hairdo!November 25, 2009 at 10:42 AM

    great post. kids ARE geniuses and watching them develop and grow and problem solve IS amazing! you are supposed to be a proud momma.

    I love the crab costume.

    ki come play in the waves with matt? why are they breaking so far out? is there a reef there? sand bar? ship wreckage? are you in a cove? I am a novice seaman. I pretend to love the ocean but don't really know anything about it. I smell Irene's butt all the time.

    ReplyDelete